Townley House Museum in Chamois
Throughout 2012 there was ongoing discussion about the best use and preservation of the Townley House. The board of the Osage County Historical Society felt that it was not being fully utilized, but always desired to make this great treasure accessible to as many as possible. They also desired to have the people of Chamois take more interest and responsibility for this museum in their midst. Therefore when OCHS was approached by the Chamois Historic Preservation Commission about taking over the Townley House we began discussions and discernment about what was best for this museum. It was finally decided that having local control would be good for them and good for us. We began then the transfer of the use and maintenance of Townley House to the Chamois Historical group. This was finalized in a ceremony on Dec 16, 2012 with OCHS, represented by board president Bill Miller, giving ownership and management of the Townley House over to the Chamois group. We still consider the Townley House Museum along with the Westphalia Historical Museum treasured assets of our County and encourage everyone to visit and support these wonderful museums.
Dec 16, 2012 Ceremony at Townley House
Appreciation plaque presented to Emil and Vivian Vahrenberg of Chamois. Raymond Uthe was also given credit for his work at the Townley House.
HISTORY OF THE TOWNLEY HOUSE
This house, probably the oldest building in Chamois, was built in 1856 by Charles Phelps. The original logs are now covered by weatherboarding. In 1864 one of Phelps' daughters, Myra Jane, married Alvah W. Townley. The house had been in the Townley family until 1991 when it was deeded to the Osage County Historical Society for use as a museum by Verda Leonard, whose mother was a Townley. Due to Verda's efforts the Townley House was placed on the National Historic Register in 1999. The Townley House is located at the corner of Third and Market Streets, Chamois.
On the left is a gravestone in the dog cemetery, Townley house yard.
Townley House tours are by reservation only.